MCC will host free tax assistance and e-filing of federal and state returns for those who qualify beginning January 21, 2017 through April 17 (excluding March 25, 27, 29 and 30) with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Clinic.
Additional services include:
- Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) for processing Individual Tax Identification Number Request (ITIN). An ITIN is required for undocumented workers (those in the U.S. without papers) who are working.
- If you earn money in the U.S. as a resident, citizen or visitor, you have to file income taxes. If you can’t get a Social Security number, you’ll need an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to file your taxes and claim important tax credits.
- Trained staff will help individuals complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form with the completion of the tax return.
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Fast Refunds with FREE E-Filing of Federal and State Returns
- VITA Certified Preparers
- Banking and Financial Counseling
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Preparation
- Amended Returns (during the month of March)
- Access to software at www.myfreetaxes.com for Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) filers
- Language Services Provided - VITA Clinic information in Spanish
The VITA Clinic prepares tax returns for individuals or households with incomes less than $55,000 and assists with Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) returns for individuals or households with incomes less than $60,000.
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letters for all family members reported on the tax return (mandatory)
- Valid photo ID for main taxpayer on tax return
- Bank account routing and account number for direct deposit
- Earnings statements (wages W-2s), pensions, Social Security, Unemployment, interest, dividends, 1099s, etc.
- Tuition statements and expenses (1098-T)
- Mortgage interest statements (1098)
- Real estate tax bill
- Prior year tax return
- Cancellation of debt/bankruptcy information
- McHenry County College, 8900 U.S. Highway 14, Crystal Lake, IL in Building A, Room 102
- Wednesdays from 5 to 9 p.m., January 25 through April 12 (closed March 29)
- Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., January 21 through April 15 (closed March 25)
- Harvard - 401 N. Division Street, Harvard, IL
- Mondays from 5 to 9 p.m., January 23 through April 17 (closed March 27)