MCC hosted free tax assistance and e-filing of federal and state returns for those who qualify from January 20, 2018, through April 16 (excluding March 26, 28, 31) with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Clinic.
Additional services include:
- Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) for processing Individual Taxpayer Identification Number request (ITIN). An ITIN is required for undocumented workers (those in the U.S. without papers) who are working.
- If you earn money in the U.S. as a resident, citizen or visitor, you have to file income taxes. If you can’t get a Social Security number, you’ll need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file your taxes.
- Trained staff will help individuals complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form with the completion of the tax return. (appointment required)
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Fast Refunds with free E-Filing of Federal and State Returns
- VITA Certified Preparers
- Banking and Financial Counseling (appointment required)
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Preparation (appointment required)
- Amended and prior years’ returns (2014–2016) during the month of March
- Language Services Provided VITA Clinic information in Spanish
- ITIN processing (Certified Acceptance Agency)
The VITA Clinic prepares tax returns for individuals or households with incomes less than $55,000 and assists with Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) returns for individuals or households with incomes less than $60,000.
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letters for all family members reported on the tax return (mandatory)
- Valid photo ID for main taxpayer on tax return
- Bank account routing and account number for direct deposit
- Earnings statements (wages W-2s), pensions, Social Security, Unemployment, interest, dividends, 1099s, etc.
- Tuition statements and expenses (1098-T)
- Mortgage interest statements (1098)
- Real estate tax bill
- Prior year tax return
- Cancellation of debt/bankruptcy information
- McHenry County College, 8900 U.S. Highway 14, Crystal Lake, IL in Building A, Room 102
- Mondays from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., January 22 through April 16 (closed March 26)
- Wednesdays from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., January 24 through April 11 (closed March 28)
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., January 20 through April 14 (closed March 31)
New for 2018, no tax prep at Harvard, drop off and pick up a week later
- Harvard - 401 N. Division Street, Harvard, IL
- Mondays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., January 22 through April 9 (closed March 26)