Science and Engineering Academy for High School Students
Many four-year schools offer foundational courses in huge lecture halls taught by a grad student with little to no teaching experience. Through the Science and Engineering Academy, you get a head start on college and learn in small classes from experienced instructors who are dedicated to teaching-at a fraction of the cost! Earn valuable college credits now, when you have fewer distractions than you will your first year away at your four-year school.
- Choose your track:
- engineering, computer science and the hard sciences
- health professions such as medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy and occupational therapy
- All courses are standard requirements for these paths of study and designed to transfer to four-year schools participating in the Illinois Articulation Initiative. Because the content of these courses is fairly standardized, they usually transfer to out-of-state schools as well. You may check the transferability to specific schools using the Transferology website.
Fall and spring academy classes are offered five days a week in the morning. Start your day at MCC and then return to your high school for your remaining classes.
- Engineering and Hard Sciences
Summer - Math 175
Engineering and Hard Sciences Fall course schedule Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Fall Math 245 8 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 291 8 to 9:50 a.m. Math 245 8 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 291 lab 7 to 9:50 a.m. Math 245 7 to 7:50 a.m. and Physics 291 8 to 9:20 a.m. Engineering and Hard Sciences Spring course schedule Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Spring Math 255 8 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 292 8 to 9:50 a.m. Math 255 8 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 292 lab 7 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 292 8 to 9:20 a.m.
- Health Fields
Summer - Math 175
Health Fields Fall course schedule Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Fall Physics 280 7 to 8:20 a.m. and Chemistry 165 8:30 to 9:50 Chemistry 165 8 to 8:50 a.m. Physics 280 7 to 8:20 a.m. and Chemistry 165 8:30 to 9:50 Chemistry 165 lab 7 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 280 7 to 9:20 a.m. Health Fields Spring course schedule Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Spring Physics 281 7 to 8:20 a.m. and Chemistry 166 8:30 to 9:50 Chemistry 166 8 to 8:50 a.m. Physics 281 7 to 8:20 a.m. and Chemistry 166 8:30 to 9:50 Chemistry 166 lab 7 to 9:50 a.m. Physics 281 lab 7 to 9:20 a.m.
How to Register
- Meet with your high school counselor or home school official and obtain permission to enroll in selected course(s). Remember, you must meet all prerequisites for the course(s).
- Complete the Registration Form by typing your answers into the blanks in the form online, printing out the form and then obtaining all the required signatures. Please note-you must completely fill out the Course Selection section of the form and have the proposed course list approved by a high school official. Complete this form each semester you participate in the Science and Engineering Academy.
- Submit your completed registration form to your high school counselor.
- Purchase textbooks in the MCC bookstore.
Once you graduate high school, follow MCC application procedures as a new college student, as if you've never attended MCC. Home school students must follow same procedure as above except parent(s) complete Registration form instead of high school counselor or school official.