Academic advisors assist with:
- Selecting classes to match your academic and career goals
- Choosing a degree or certificate
- Preparing to transfer
- Checking your progress toward graduation
- Opportunities to get involved
See us when you:
- Are unsure which classes to take
- Are thinking about changing degrees
- Want guidance with the transfer process
- Are seeking support but aren't sure where to start
Whether you're a new student, a current student, or returning to MCC after some time away, we're ready and eager to help you achieve your goals.
What can we help you with today?
- I’m a new student and need help getting started.
All new full-time students are required to complete New Student Orientation (NSO) to register as a full-time student. While NSO is optional for new part-time students, we strongly encourage part-time students to take it as well.
See New-Student Orientation to get started.
- I'm a current or returning student and I need an appointment
How can I make an advising appointment?
Scheduling an appointment is ideal when you have several questions and need in-depth assistance. You can arrange to meet with us one-on-one over the phone or via Zoom, or in-person.
- For a phone or Zoom appointment you can schedule online, call (815) 479-7565 or stop by A257.
- For an in-person appointment, call (815) 479-7565 or stop by A257.
Should I just email my questions to advising?
You can email simple, straightforward advising-related questions like “can you suggest one more class to add next semester” to email@example.com. However, if you have in-depth, multi-layered, or open-ended questions, call (815) 479-7565 during business hours to arrange an appointment.
I need help learning how to enroll in my classes using Student Planning.
See our overview of Student Planning, including video tutorials on how to register for courses online.
- I need information about degrees, certificates, or graduation
- I need transfer resources
- I want to learn more about student support services