Nursing Assistant Education Certificate FAQ
- How do I enroll in the Nursing Assistant Education course?
If you haven't taken a class at MCC before, you must first apply to the College.
- Admissions and Academic Planning
- Review Basic Nursing Assistant (NAE100) course availability
- Review the list of requirements (and their deadlines) that must be completed before the first day of class.
- See placement test requirements and course prerequisites below
- How old do I have to be to take this course?
You must be 16 years old by the course completion date and have a minimum of an eighth grade education to take this class.
- Do I need to take a placement test?
Per the NAE department course prerequisites, you must have one of the following:
- an ACT® Reading test score of 18 or higher
- a SAT® Evidence-Based Reading and Writing test score of 320 or higher
- an ACCUPLACER® Reading Placement test score of 226 or higher
- or proof that you earned a grade of “C” or higher in MCC's course, ENG 151.
The ACCCUPLACER® Reading Placement test can be taken in the Testing Center. See Testing Center information
- Do I need to have a physical exam or proof of any immunizations?
You must present proof of a physical exam completed no sooner than 30 days before the class start date, using the Basic Nursing Assistant Medical Form, which states there are no restrictions that would interfere with your ability to complete the practical portion of this class, and a 2-step Mantoux TB test. The Mantoux TB tests are offered at the TB Clinic in Woodstock for a reasonable fee. Moderate to heavy physical activities will be required in the clinical setting.
- Will I incur any costs besides my tuition and fees when I take this course?
You will be expected to have a uniform, white shoes and a watch with a sweep second hand for the clinical experience. Uniform specifics will be provided on the first day of class. Cost should be less than $30.
To become a Certified Nursing Assistant in the state of Illinois, you must take the Illinois Nursing Assistant Certification Exam (INACE). The INACE costs approximately $70. Your instructor will assist you with information regarding the exam.
- Do I need a criminal background check to enroll?
Yes, please type your information in the Health Care Worker Background Check form, print it, sign it, and return it to MCC, E212 according to the scheduled due date. The easiest way to fill in this form online is to open the form in Internet Explorer or Chrome.
Please note that we will not accept handwritten forms.
- What's the typical salary for a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in McHenry County?
A certified CNA can expect an entry-level salary of $12 to $14 per hour. CNAs are qualified to seek jobs in hospitals, hospice centers, home care, physician offices, walk-in clinics and day care facilities.
- Does MCC offer any other health-related career training?
- How can I learn more about the State Competency Exam?
Visit Illinois Nurse Aide Testing Program for more about CNAs.