Sage Learning Center Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Tutoring
- Who can use the Sage Learning Center (SLC)?
You must be registered in an MCC credit course and registered in the class for which you wish to receive tutoring.
- The subjects we tutor are accounting, chemistry, math, physics, Spanish, and writing.
- Individual subject times vary.
- I've never been to SLC before. What do I do?
- It's simple. Come to A212L in the library, sign in on the computer (you will need your student I.D. number), and then find the table for the subject you need help with. When you're finished, sign out. You must sign in and out each time you use SLC, or if you need help in more than one subject.
- Bring the appropriate materials (such as calculators, books, pencils, paper), assignments that you want help with, and be ready to begin work. The tutors will help you work through the assignments. They do not teach the material nor do the work for you.
- Can I use the SLC computers and printers for my class assignments?
- Only if you are working with an SLC tutor. Computers are for academic work only. No personal use, such as games, email, social networking, YouTube, ordering products, etc. is permitted.
- You may use the SLC printers only if you are working with a tutor. Academic printing is limited to 12 pages per day. See the information cards on each computer for additional restrictions.
- If I need a place to study, can I go to SLC?
- The Sage Learning Center is for tutoring only and is not a general study hall. If you need a place to study, we suggest the library.
- Students may sit in SLC only if a tutor is on duty. Students may not "sit and wait" at a specific table more than 15 minutes before the tutor arrives. Furthermore, students must leave when tutoring for a specific subject is over.
- Is writing and math tutoring for English and math classes only?
- Our writing tutors will assist you with any written assignments (outlines, essays, speeches, Power Points, etc.) for any course. We will also assist registered students with resumes, cover letters, and college application essays.
- Our math tutors will assist only students registered in MCC math courses. This does not include business math.
- However, our chemistry and physics tutors will help students who are registered in those courses with math-related questions.
- Can SLC tutors help me with quizzes, tests, and preparing for placement tests?
Absolutely not. Helping someone would defeat the purpose of the quizzes and tests. Placement test are taken in the Testing Center in A245.
- Can I get help with study skills, test-taking strategies, or project management?
Learning and Retention Specialists offer flexible academic support to all students. We assist students with…
- Study Skills
- Test-Taking Strategies
- Project Management
- Writing Assignments
- Content Mastery
- College and Community Resources
You want to see us when you…
- Need academic support in classes not covered by Sage
- Need academic support in addition to tutoring
- Need executive functioning support but are not covered by ADS
- Want to improve your study strategies
- Does the Student Code of Conduct also apply to SLC?
- Yes, without exception. Sage Learning Center observes the MCC Student Code of Conduct. Furthermore, the specific SLC rules are backed by the administration of this college.
- A student who breaks a rule could be asked to leave the tutoring center. For a serious infraction, a student incident report will be filed and the Dean of Academic Development will investigate the complaint. This could result in a student losing access to the Sage Learning Center.