You may not be required to take placement tests
- Why wouldn't I be required to take an English placement test?
You aren't required to take an English placement test if you received:
- ACT Reading and English score 19 or higher (valid for five years from test date) or
- SAT (2016 or later) English score 480 or higher or
- you have prior college English credit
If you aren't required to take an English placement test, you will be placed in an English course based on your ACT/SAT scores.
- If I'm not required to take an English placement test, which English course do I take based on my ACT/SAT score?
College Level English Course Placement based on ACT or SAT score (valid for five years from test date) ACT SAT You may enroll in the following courses 19 in Reading and English 480 or higher ENG 151
- Why wouldn't I be required to take a math placement test?
You aren't required to take math placement tests if you received:
- ACT math score 22 or higher (valid for three years from test date) or
- SAT (2016 or later) math score 530 or higher or
- you have prior college math credit
- you are taking MAT 090
Note: You may sign up for MAT 090 without a placement test
If you aren't required to take a math placement test, you will be placed in a math course based on your ACT/SAT scores.
- If I'm not required to take a math placement test, which math course do I take based on my ACT/SAT score?
College Level Math Course Placement based on ACT or SAT Math score (valid for three years from test date) ACT SAT You may enroll in the following courses 22-27 530 or higher MAT 120, MAT 150, MAT 161, MAT 165, MAT 201 28 or higher 660 or higher MAT 166, MAT 170, MAT 171, MAT 220 or MAT 175
Before taking placement exams, new students who have never applied to MCC are required to complete an application for admission, pay the $15 fee, and allow two business days before testing.
Eligible incoming students may request accommodations for placement testing. Contact Access and Disabilities.
- When can I take my placement tests?
We recommend that you schedule your placement tests. Walk-ins are available on a limited basis. Students who register for their tests will be given preference over walk-in test takers. Schedule your placement tests
- See details about Math Placement Testing | ALEKS® PPL including preparation and study resources
- See details about English Placement Testing | ACCUPLACER® including preparation and study resources
Allow at least the following amounts of time before the Testing Center closes in order to complete these placement exams:
- 3 hours for English Placement Testing | ACCUPLACER (includes an essay and a reading exam)
- 2 hours for Math Placement Testing | ALEKS PPL
- 1 1/2 hours for a geometry placement, if required
- 1 1/2 hours for the reading exam only
- 1 1/2 hours for modern language placement exams, if required
- Placement tests do not have a maximum time limit.
- What will I need to take placement tests?
You'll need to provide a photo I.D. before you begin your testing.
The English and math placement exams are computer-based.
For our English placement, you'll need an MCC ID number.
For our math placement, you'll need to know your MCC username and password and will need to have completed your math practice test in ALEKS PPL before your first official math placement test. There is a non-graphing calculator inside the math placement software and we provide scratch paper for your placement testing.
- How much do placement tests cost?
Placement tests are free.
- Where do I take placement tests?
The MCC Testing Center, A245. We offer some online testing, call (815) 455-8984 for details.