Job Search Tips
Job searching on the web
When you apply online, be sure to customize your resume and cover letter for each job you apply for. Check these sites:
An additional note about the Internet: Make sure you know what is being published about you online.
- Check social networking pages for inappropriate pictures and comments. Delete anything that you wouldn't show to your grandmother.
- Google search your name.
- Create opportunities for positive information such as an online portfolio.
Making business connections
- This is the most effective way of finding a new job with 60-90% of open positions being filled because of personal contacts and networking. (National Association of Colleges and Employers)
- Consider all interactions as potential business connections.
- Look into joining local networking groups.
- Check with employers directly.
- Sign up with temp agencies.
- Go to job fairs.
- Visit MCC Career Services and McHenry County Workforce Network.